Hey everyone, just wanted you to know that Caleb is feeling better. He was finally without fever yesterday (Monday) all day but was feeling pretty darn cranky. Today he was well on his way back to normal. Tomorrow he should be feeling pretty good. I'm not too sure what it was that he caught, and I guess malaria is still a possibility, but my bet is on some good old fashioned butt-kicking virus.
While I'm here, just a few tidbits about PNG culture
-Polygamy is still very culturally acceptable in tribal culture. It's one of the biggest obstacles to Christian living here by the natives
-Wives of the same husband are brutal to each other! Chopchops aren't only for drunk men.
-No one in the hospital stays alone. Everyone travels and stays with a watchman, usually a relative. Many times, security has to ask people to leave, since we have to limit the watchmen to one per patient (for lots of reasons)
-People have a given name and the name of their father. In the case of men, this is handy and works fine for medical records. In the case of women, many times they take their husband's name as their last name, or their husband's last name, or keep their father's name. Sometimes, they will give different names at different visits. Since there are no social security numbers, female medical records are often alphabetized by first name.
-No one here has any clue about cause and effect when it comes to health. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten a complete history about a car wreck or something, only to find out that it was 10 years ago and really has no bearing on the cough the patient is now experiencing.
-Every man here is expected to own a pig. If you have no pig, you're not a man.
There you go.
4 years ago
4 comments:
The pig one is my favorite. So, do you have a pig yet, Ben?
I HEART Bacon!!! I can totally see the reasoning!!
Ben, just wanted to say...love the blog and that I apologize for just now getting here to write congrats on the on the way baby. Can't wait to talk to you when you guys return.
Ben - have you ever heard the quote by Sir Winston Churchill? "I like pigs: cats look down on human beings, dogs look up to them, but pigs just treat us as their equals." Maybe you'll need one in Nebraska.
Post a Comment