Well, it has been around two months since I have taken the time to sit down and write another blog. There are a few reasons for this:
1)It really did freak me out a bit when I learned that at least one of my patient's had read my blog. I mean, can I really talk about the hospital, tell stories, or vent frustrations when people I provide care for are reading what I write? In the end, as long as I am being honest, I think the answer should be yes, but it does make me think twice, or maybe three times, before posting something.
2)I just haven't had the time. It is no joke that since at least the beginning of December, but really since Thane was born, I have been busy every waking moment of every day. If I'm not at work, I'm either playing with Caleb, holding/changing Thane, falling asleep, or finding quality time to spend with Stephanie.
3)It seems like I just don't have much to write about. Now, this is not really true, but who wants to hear about what goes on in the hospital? And if you want to read about my (awesome) kids, there's always Stephanie's blog. She sees them more than I do anyway.
Tonight, though, I have decided to finally get past #1. I am on call here at the hospital and am waiting for a couple of lab results to make some decisions on a sick patient, so no sleep for me, which takes care of #2. As for #3, well, I'm sure I can find something to talk about.
One thing I have been doing quite a bit of thinking on recently has been how much difference a year makes in our lives. December 2007, for example, seems like eons ago. That was before I knew where I would be doing residency (actually that was when I found out I didn't match into a military program--VERY stressful), before Thane was even conceived, and before our life-changing trip to Papua New Guinea. Amazing. I am really greatful that I don't have the ability to plan out my life. Things have not gone exactly how I expected, but I couldn't be more satisfied at this point. I love this residency program, I feel like I'm learning a lot and doing a pretty good job, and it is great to be close to family. I am working side by side with the military guys here, and am realizing the benefits of being on the civilian side for a couple more years. As far as Thane goes, is there anything better than a fresh baby? The biggest x-factor was how Caleb would react, and he has far exceeded my hopes. Caleb is such a loving, protective, and gentle big brother! Now, we'll see how long that lasts, but it sure does work well while Thane is a baby. And PNG.... I miss that place. I really look forward to going back next year (which would not have been possible-at least not for two months-in the military program). I think I will be much more useful then as well, which will be nice.
One year ago I was neurotically working out my anxiety making paper snowflakes, now I'm neurotically working out my anxiety (about a particular patient) by typing a blog.
Maybe there really isn't anything new under the sun. :)
Oh, and it looks like they're going to do just fine. Phew!
4 years ago
1 comment:
Dude, it HAS been a long time. I agree, it is nice having someone as smart as GOD planning things for you. For more material, you should have your epilectics play that skiing game. I would definitely like to read about that!
Post a Comment