Monday, February 15, 2010

Trauma

Since the last time I posted, I haven't been up to too much. I've been mostly working, hanging out with my wife and kids, and thinking about our return trip to PNG in a couple months. This month, I am on the Trauma service at UNMC. If this weren't the land of HIPPA (medical privacy), I would have some good stories and even better pictures. In general, though I have learned - or relearned - several important lessons:

1)Wear your seatbelt.
2)Don't go to work under the influence of anything - especially if your workplace happens to be 50 ft in the air, and even if you think your influence of choice should be legal and it just "mellows" you out. Just sayin.
3)Don't get shot.
3b) Don't shoot yourself - especially if you have bad aim.
4)Some surgeons still really do fit the egotistical hothead stereotype
5)If you have some chronic disease, like diabetes or high blood pressure, for heaven's sake get it under control before the bad stuff starts happening. (This is from clinic - though I suppose a stoke or heart attack could cause a MVA and a Trauma situation)

Feels good to get all that off my chest.

I love my job, but sometimes I wish I could do more to help people see things from another perspective (usually MY perspective). I want to make a difference in the lives of my patients. But probably better than that, I should want God to make a difference in their lives, and use me to help. I think maybe it's me that needs help to see things from HIS perspective. Here's hoping I can do a better job at that.

No comments: