Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Reading for fun

Recently, I decided I should start reading for enjoyment. I used to read a lot as a kid, but kind of stopped when life got busy in high school and have only read for fun periodically since then. I think the last book I read just for the heck of it was the Chronicles of Narnia set back before the The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe came out in theaters. So, on the recommendation of my brother Joe, I picked up The Shack by William Young.

It's basically about a guy to whom God appears in a physical body - actually three physical bodies: Father, Son, Spirit. It's a pretty interesting take on God and the way He relates to us. There is a lot of theological discussion and questioning about why bad things happen. I've read some of the criticisms of it, but I have to say, I really enjoyed it. It definitely helped me see my relationship with God from a different perspective. There really wasn't a lot from a theology standpoint that I hadn't thought about before, but I loved the portrayal of God's love for each person and his desire for a loving relationship with each one of us. I'd recommend it.

On a different note, the kiddo from PNG with the Burkitt's Lymphoma is no longer doing so well. I gotta say this was pretty disappointing for me to hear. You can read about this new update on Dr Erin's blog here. I read it almost two weeks ago, but haven't really felt like posting it. It breaks my heart to see kids like Nathaniel fighting cancer. Fortunately, she also has follow-up patient stories that are happier.

My family and I will be in PNG in just over two weeks now! I recently started compiling a list of things we need to buy and things we need to bring. Let me tell you, those lists are pretty long! I am really looking forward to my time there, (hopefully) taking the skills God has given me the ability to learn and putting them to good use along side these great missionaries.

No comments: