Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Hotdog Heaven!!

I've decided to finally end my blogging drought with an experience of a lifetime: All You Can Eat Seats at a KC Royals game. Yeah, baby!! My big brother Joe, who happens to live in Olathe down near KC, sent me an email a bit ago making me aware of this opportunity, and I've been licking my chops ever since. Stephanie and Caleb tagged along to my brother's house to hang out with his wife and the kids, and my oldest brother Brent met us down there to take part in the gluttony.

It was set up to be a showdown for the ages, with Brent out to prove he's no old fart, Joe defending his home turf, and me trying to out do my big bros. Let me tell you, folks, it did not disappoint. Brent came out of the gate with masseters blazing, downing four hotdogs and a nacho before the first pitch! (of course, we did get there reeaally early to get our money's worth) Alas, he could not keep the pace, and I emerged victorious with the following consumed:
7 hotdogs
1 nacho
2 bags of peanuts
1 bag of popcorn
5 fountain drinks
1 cup of water

At around the 4th or 5th inning, a thunderstorm came and play was stopped, so we decided to call it a night before any vomiting could get started. All in all, it was a successful night, and one I hope to repeat before the season is over.


I am almost done with me first month of residency, which comes with some mixed feelings. I am really looking forward to getting my feet wet on the hospital side of things (this month I've had clinic and tons of lectures and certifications), but on the other hand, the hours have been so nice!! I've gotten to spend a good deal of time with Stephanie and Caleb, and I know it will be awhile before I get to see them this much again. But, this is what I signed up for, so here we go! I will start Friday on the OB service run by the family medicine residency, so I'm hoping to learn a lot and catch some babies. We are fortunate in this program to have a staff physician who is double boarded in Family Medicine and OB/GYN, so the teaching and experience should be great.

This past month has also been a good time of getting to know some of the other residents who are starting the program with me. There are a few people from the far reaches of the globe - Niger, Malaysia, India, Venezuela - and there are several from here in Nebraska. Add to this the Air Force residents, and you have a pretty good mix of folks. It should be a fun three years getting to know everyone and having the chance to work with everyone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are definitely a pig. Don't tell your medical friends about your all-u-can-eat experience, or they may excommunicate you from the medical field!