Friday, July 4, 2008

I'm an intern! Well, sort of

I just completed my first week of my intern year of residency, a week I have been dreading as long as I have known about it. This is the week you start in a brand new hospital with new people, a new computer system, new lingo, and of course, the new responsibility of actually ordering tests and medicines... basically saving lives vs killing people. This is the week the new doctor is thrown into the fire of sleep deprivation and intense scrutiny, hoping only to make it out alive.

Turns out, it's not so bad for a family medicine resident at the University of Nebraska. Here, we have an entire month of stuff like orientation, occupational medicine, lectures, and clinic to sort of ease us in to the whole thing. The hours are GREAT! This has come in quite handy because last week, while moving into our house, a storm came and knocked out the power to approx 125,000 people in the Omaha area. Our neighborhood got trashed with trees down everywhere, even blocking a few roads. A tree branch in the yard next to ours fell on our power and cable lines and ripped them out of our house, which was quite exciting as we unpacked boxes.




No worries, though. We just stayed an extra several days with my dad and Pat and moved in little by little in the daylight hours. Now we finally have a permanent (at least for three years) place to stay with furniture, electricity, and internet (as of yesterday)! We are pretty pumped, and Caleb is happy to see all his old toys that were packed up for 6 months while we traversed the globe. I'll leave you with a shout out to my brother John and our old friend Tim who worked their butts off loading all our stuff up and getting it in the house. Well done guys!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That dude in the picture has some big guns!!

Always a Beginner said...

Hey, Ben! I don't know your email address, so hopefully this comment will make its way to you. :) I sent your book this morning priority mail. It should get there in about 2 - 3 days. Hope all is well. You and your wife need to blog more often... for real.

- Tif