Not often in medicine do people come see you because they are happy or healthy. And rarely are folks excited to see you. All that changes, though, when you enter the world of obstetrics.
This month, I am manning the labor and delivery floor here at UNMC, i.e. managing laboring patients and catching babies. Nothing like seeing mostly healthy people pop a living thing out of their bodies! Ladies come here generally uncomfortable but pretty excited, and almost everyone leaves happy. Not bad at all. Of course, the sad side of medicine occasionally rears its ugly head, but thankfully those times are fewer and farther between here. The residents are great and most of the staff have been as well, which makes for a good month.
I would get all philosophical about the wonder of gestation and birth, but since I'm on call tonight and the pager is going off, I'll spare you. Bring on the babies!
4 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment