Man, that blog last night was pretty depressing. Sorry guys! Really, our time here has thus far been marked mostly by hanging out with great missionaries and enjoying the beautiful scenery while getting adjusted to life at the other end of the world. 4 different families have had us over already! They make a habit of taking turns fixing dinner for people who are either just getting on station or getting ready to leave on furlough so they don't have to worry about not having groceries, etc. It is also a nice chance to get re-aquainted and remember just how nice it is to be among these people.
Also, as you can read about in Stephanie's blog here, Caleb, Thane, and the Riggins boys went to the hospital to hand out toys and blankets to the kids there. I was able to step away from my duties for a minute and watch them in action. It was great! I couldn't tell which the patients liked more: getting the stuffed animals and crayons/paper, or watching 4 little white-skin kids run around the wards! Either way, it brought a lot of laughs and smiles to kids and their parents who were a little short on things to smile about otherwise.
In other news, I have now officially first-assisted on two C sections, and got to close fascia on one! Not a big deal to most of you, but cool to me none the less. I have really been struggling in my mind whether C sections was something I wanted to learn, especially with 4 years of no CS looming in my post-residency future (not something most family docs do in the AF). These two went really smoothly, though, and were pretty fun! We'll see how things go. Last time here, I helped in a CS that ended up pretty tragically, but let's not rehash that now. I think I'm going to try to get in on as many as possible, and see what happens from there.
Again, so much for the short blogs! Oh, well, gotta leave room for improvement. Now to have a glass of my fresh squeezed lemonade and off to bed. Have a good weekend all!
p.s. still waiting for images to upload, and I'm sleepy, so if you'd like, you can see some of them at the end of the wife's blog about the boys sharing in the hospital.
4 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment