Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Settling into a routine

As expected, things are settling down here. The boys are adjusting to a new schedule and general way of doing things, and not a moment too soon! Caleb is making friends with the other kids, and Thane... well, he's still throwing rocks into puddles. At least he stopped trying to eat them.

Our typical day starts around 7 with the kids waking up. We make them breakfast, try to get Thane to eat, try to get Thane cleaned up, then I take a shower and head off to the hospital.

Everyone gets there around 8, which is a nice change from the 6am start time in the States! I round on my half of the Pediatrics Ward, which typically takes about an hour and a half or so, then go to the outpatient clinic and start seeing patients. We take an hour lunch break around noon, and go back at it until all the patients for the day are seen, which averages around 4pm. Not too shabby!! My favorite part is probably getting to walk home for lunch. I love seeing Stephanie and the boys in the middle of the day.

The evenings are usually comprised of some sort of walk or activity (like ultimate frisbee or touch football with the other missionaries), then eating a great dinner Stephanie has cooked, cleaning up, and putting the kids to bed. The past few nights, Stephanie, David, and I have been playing cards, which has gotten pretty competetive! It's a good way to pass the time, though, and a lot more enjoyable/interactive than sitting in front of a TV or surfing the web. It's a really nice change of pace.

A bit of a boring post, I agree. I think we are all really enjoying it here though. I'm on call tomorrow, so I'd better get to sleep -- it's 10:45pm here. Hopefully I'll get some pictures added soon.

No comments: