This past Sunday, a bunch of us went out to a field here on station and played a game of softball. It was a pretty good game, with its fair share of highlights and bloopers, and I think everyone had a pretty good time. While we were all playing softball, though, all the kids were running around, exploring, and having their own fun. When it was time to go, we gave the kids their "two minute warning" while we rounded up our stuff.
So, I see Caleb out of the corner of my eye walk up to Olivia. Now, Olivia is a really nice girl about Caleb's age who really gets along with Caleb pretty well, in spite of his occasional social awkwardness. When it's time for them to part ways, she usually wants to give Caleb a hug, which he usually fights, and we all quietly get a laugh at their expense. This time, however, Caleb holds out his arms to Olivia and asks for a hug! In my mind, I'm thinking, "Breakthrough!!"
Olivia responds, "I already gave you a hug, Caleb." What? He wants another one?
"Can I just have another one?" Seriously?
Olivia gives him a big smile and an even bigger hug. I was amazed! However, I must have been gawking a bit too much, because saw me and got a kind of sheepish then panicked look on his face. Being the quick thinker that he is, he begins almost shouting "Poopy Bear! Poopy Bear!" (or was it Poopy Frog?) at poor Olivia. When she gave him a confused and a bit hurt kind of look, he softened considerably and said "Poopy Bears give lots of good hugs."
I wasn't sure what to make of this whole interaction, but it's clear Caleb has entered the wonderful/terrible/confusing world of female relationships. On the up side, he is actually making friends and having a good time, just being more social in general. On the down side.... Poopy Bear?!? Really? We've got some serious work to do.
Wonder where he gets it from?
No comments:
Post a Comment